Dear Oboe students and oboe teachers,
Welcome to blog 3 of generation 3, Oboe Brilliance coaching blogs. Today's blog is about creating long tones with different colors.
1) Listen to a note.
2) Listen to that same note in your imagination.
3) Choose a vowel and sing that note with that vowel.
4) Play the note as a long tone on the oboe (or bassoon...etc.) with your internal muscles shaped to sing that vowel.
5) Sing that same note with a different vowel.
6) repeat step #4
7) Repeat pattern with another note ....
Enjoy hearing the differences in color you can create.
To apply - contemplate how this technique/skill can be applied for sustained notes in phrases. For example - what vowel sound is best to use for the last note of a phrase? - highest note - or highest contour of a melody?
SKYPE oboe coaching available to oboists interested in playing the music I've composed.
Visit Published music page to see what's available and visit contact page to contact!
Thank you for your interest and ENJOY your oboe!